We all are aware that digestion is one of the most important processes for our regular and healthy body functioning, which is an essential part of life. As a result, I have listed the best methods to improve your digestion naturally.
In scientific words, digestion is the process in the alimentary canal by which food is broken up physically. As by the action of the teeth, and chemically, as by the action of enzymes. After that, it is converted into a substance suitable for absorption and assimilation into the body.
The digestive system is made up of a group of organs that work together to break down food. They work to make larger molecules into smaller ones, later transported around our body to be used for energy, growth, and repair.
Unfortunately, a lot of face some digestion issues on a regular basis but find out some quick solutions to fix the same. It can’t be a friendly way to solve the problem every time we have a problem. As it can lead to bigger and more severe circumstances like anxiety, depression, and many more in the long run.
It is always better to cure the problem in natural ways, which we find out more about in this article later on. It is also important to get the check-ups done often.
Let’s have a look at some common symptoms of disturbed digestion & issues related to the same:
- Constipation: Constipation is a condition of the infrequent, irregular, or difficult evacuation of the bowels.
Some common signs of constipation include:
- Abdominal aches and pains
- Passing of hard, painful stool
- Food Intolerance: A person with a food intolerance has difficulty digesting certain foods.
Food intolerance symptoms include:
- Diarrhea and vomiting
- Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease (GORD): GORD causes symptoms such as heartburn and an unpleasant taste in the back of the mouth.
Common GORD symptoms include:
- Dry coughing
- Sore throat
- Sour taste in the mouth
- Chest pains
- Difficulty swallowing food
These digestion issues are not something to be worried about. However, they cause a lot of trouble in the future if not really taken care of on time. Since we have identified these common issues of digestion which probably occur quite often among people. It is always advised to have a comprehensive health and wellness plan that can cater to all of your needs. Now let’s discuss some of the natural solutions to cure them for a permanent fix.
Improve Your Digestion Naturally
- Whole foods: Your body is not made up of the nutrients you consume, but the nutrients you absorb. Not only does switching to the consumption of whole and unprocessed foods instead of processed foods help increase satiety for a long time, which is a feeling of fullness, but also nourishes our body and helps us improve our digestion naturally.
- Having more fiber-rich: natural, and whole foods blesses our gut to function properly and do not put a lot of load on it, unnecessarily. Try to have whole wheat flour instead of white flour, whole fruits in replacement of fruit juice, nuts & sprouts instead of chips and biscuits to nourish your body with plenty of fiber.
- Timely meals: Having a proper schedule of your meals helps build a regular digestion cycle and keeps your body habitual of easy functioning on time. An improper schedule like, sometimes having dinner in the early evening than a late at night on the next day, doesn’t promote good digestion in long term. So, make sure to eat on time as much as possible. Prefer having the last meal of the day at least 2 hours before sleeping.
- Check on allergies: Most of digestion issues are caused due to food intolerance. Nowadays, it is common to see people being allergic to certain foods like gluten, peanuts, lactose, or some other sources. Sometimes, such reasons behind improper digestion are not diagnosed or noticed. Try to test your food intake and notice what you ate before suffering from any digestion problem. Also, you can consult an expert for better advice.
- Hydrate more: The body loses water through breathing, sweating, and digestion, so it is important to rehydrate often. Drinking fluids and eating foods that contain water can act as a digestive aid. Proper digestion makes minerals and nutrients more accessible to the body and promotes the proper breakdown of food.
- Walk after meals: One of the best strategies to improve your digestion is walking post meals. Try to walk for at least 10-15 mins after eating your large meals. Do not take an intense brisk walk but walk at a regular speed. This helps with the easy breakdown of food. It also helps you stay active overall and get fit. Combining this habit of walking along with exercising once a day will be the cherry on the top.
- Home remedies & sources: Home remedies can help cure digestion problems naturally and are safe for consumption without any side effects. Some important food sources for good digestion are apple cider vinegar in hot water before meals, jaljeera post meals, lemon ginger water anytime in the day, fennel seeds (saunf) post meals, etc.
- Supplements: One can also take some help to cure their digestion problems with the consumption of some safe supplements available on the market. Consuming probiotic supplements or probiotic drinks can also help fix digestion problems. Ensure following the rest of the strategies along with intake of supplements as well.
- Reduce Stress & Sleep Properly: Along with causing other health problems, stress is also responsible for causing digestion issues as well. Our body doesn’t function properly with a lot of stress in mind. Stress also affects our sleep cycle with poor quality of rest which has a great impact on our cycle of regular digestion. Indulge yourself in some activities which help you de-stress and make sure to sleep properly on time.
- Consult your doctor: If you’re someone who has been following all these steps mentioned above to improve your digestion. But still having problems for a really long time and not able to notice any progress. It is best to get a doctor’s consultation as an unknown issue might need to be diagnosed.
Do not delay, take an action now for a better future. Stay healthy, Stay safe.